Wednesday, May 8, 2013

You were born to be real, not to be perfect! A beautiful message you should all know and understand!


per·fec·tion

[per-fek-shuhn]
noun
1.
the state or quality of being or becoming perfect.
2.
the highest degree of proficiency, skill, or excellence, as in some art.
3.
a perfect embodiment or example of something.
4.
a quality, trait, or feature of the highest degree of excellence.
5.
the highest or most nearly perfect degree of a quality or trait.

I got this definition from Dictionary.com.  Okay, but really???  Does it exist?  There's a definition but I don't think it's really out there.  I'm about to go all profound on you right now.  I told you I didn't know where I was going with this blog.  My mind wanders and I ramble but like I said, I want to spread my sunshine... my KHo-isms if you will!  This post goes deep into beauty, happiness, and the idea of perfection.  They are all related and here's my take on it...
 
Too often, we think that in order to be happy, we need everything to be perfect... but in reality once you look beyond the imperfections will you find happiness.  I think it's good to remember that it's okay to not be perfect.  I'm not perfect.  You're not perfect.  But if you're happy with yourself then that's just perfect!  :)  I probably sound like I don't make sense but if you actually follow along, I make a lot of sense.  I saw a quote that said "You were born to be real, not to be perfect."  It made me smile and inspired to me write this post.

Perfection is unattainable and when you can admit that and be true to yourself, oh god is that sexy!  There's something attractive in being real and being okay with having flaws.  I think the most beautiful things in this world have flaws and that's actually what makes them so beautiful.  Obviously, we all strive for perfection... which is not a bad thing!  But understand that perfection is kinda like a moving target!  It's definitely okay to shoot for perfection... actually, go ahead and chase it... and find excellence and amazingness while you're at it!  Just remember to not kill yourself if you don't get there... because it is always changing.  It's a moving target!  Be happy with the progress you have made.  Don't be hard on yourself and just keep going!  I'm really big on making people realize that they need to be proud of their accomplishments, no matter how big or small.  So take home message... Strive for progress, not perfection.  You will be happier!

 
To my fellow CrossFitters, you can relate... what I'm saying is just like CrossFit... the "strive for progress, not perfection" part.  This is kinda why CrossFit is so addicting and fun and makes you happy.  In CrossFit, you can always look at your progress and how far you've come and the feeling is incredible.  It's amazing!  Why do you think I love PRs???  The target keeps moving.  For example, when I first started CrossFit I wanted a 75# snatch.  Then I got that and then I wanted 85#... then 100#... now that I'm at 100#, I want 115#.  It's like never ending.  What's so beautiful is that I can keep chasing and then look at my progress with joy and happiness... but really it's never ending!  Instead of beating myself up for not having a 115# snatch, I look at what I've accomplished and it makes me happy! 


For those of you who don't get my CrossFit analogy... let me give you another example.  Here's why striving for progress not perfection is better.  It's like wanting the perfect body.  It's like seeing a gorgeous photoshopped model and saying "I want that"... and then striving for it, yet it's unreal!  It's ridiculous.  I'm better off striving for progress and being happy with where I'm at... and understanding that perfection is unattainable.  I'm not saying that you shouldn't aim for perfection.  I'm just saying that it's okay to not be perfect.  Shoot for the stars and land on the moon.  It's funny because I think the actual saying is "shoot for the moon and land among the stars"... but that doesn't make sense because the stars are further than the moon.  LOL Anyhow, it's okay that my arms are not as small as I want... it's okay that I don't have a six pack.  It's okay that I'm not as tall as I wish I was.  It's actually really healthy for me to know that and accept it.... much better than obsessing and hating my body.  It's coming full circle.  The fact that I'm not perfect and am okay with that... makes me happy... and that in itself is perfect!  Being perfectly okay with imperfections is beautiful.


And when it comes to love and relationships!  Love isn't the joint of two perfect people.  It's when two imperfect people learn to love and treasure each other.  It's when they can see the flaws in each other yet it doesn't matter.  It's seeing beyond the imperfections.  True love is being able to see an imperfect person perfectly!  Wow, this just got real deep!

Okay, there's my ramble on why it's okay to not be perfect and how to be happy and content with imperfections.  I think it's a beautiful thing to be real!  It's okay to have flaws!  And don't worry... someone will love you, even with your imperfections.  But first off, you must learn to love yourself... be true to yourself!  Be real and be happy and love your imperfect self! :)

2 comments:

  1. It's funny how as you get older, it really does become much easier to accept and enjoy every part of yourself. What you might have once perceived as a flaw could actually turn out to be your greatest asset. But like you said, I think it's incredibly important to always be self-aware. For me at least, flaws are what keeps things interesting and always at a tipping point. Great read KHO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Stan! It's true... as we get older, we get wiser! We start to appreciate things that we used to not appreciate! It's a beautiful thing though. I agree that flaws do make things interesting! It's boring to be perfect! :) Thanks for reading. I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete