Friday, May 3, 2013

What's this big fuss about KALE? How can I fit it in my diet?



WHY KALE?  
We all know that kale is some super food but why is it so great?  If I asked you what kale was, how would you respond?  Well, it's some leafy green vegetable that is just really good for you!  But really, why is it called a super food?  Does it give you super powers?  Call me crazy but I actually think it does gives me super powers. I've added kale to my diet and since then, my energy levels are through the roof!  I don't take caffeine and if you actually know me, I'm sure that's a huge shocker!  I'm seriously a big ball of energy and I know you're wondering where the hell I'm getting my mojo from!  I think it's the kale! LOL  If you want some of my amazingness :)... Well, you're in luck that you're reading this because I'm going to give you my tricks.  Wow, I'm sharing my secrets!!!  Why share my secrets?  Like I mentioned before... it's because KHo loves you!

So I did some research and here's what I found.  Lots of interesting stuff on this amazing Kale... aka "the new beef" or "the queen of greens."  It's known as a "nutritional powerhouse."  Why add it to your diet?... Well, here's why!
  1. Kale is low in calorie, high in fiber, and has zero fat!  One cup of kale has ~36 calories, 5 grams of fiber, and 0 g of fat.  It helps with digestion and elimination... helps reduce constipation!  It makes you feel more full with fewer calories.
  2. Kale is high in iron. I found this tidbit super interesting.  Per calorie, kale has more iron than beef.  This is essential for hemoglobin and enzyme formation, transporting oxygen throughout the body, cell growth, proper liver function, etc.  This was a huge benefit for someone like me who has had problems with anemia growing up.
  3. Kale is high in Vitamin K.  This helps with preventing various cancers.  Vitamin K is beneficial for normal bone health, prevention of blood clotting, and is also known to help those suffering from Alzheimer's disease.
  4. Kale is filled with powerful antioxidants.  Carotenoids and flavonids are radical quenching and also help prevent against various cancers.
  5. Kale is a great anti-inflammatory food.  A person as active as me loves this benefit!  One cup of kale is filled with 10% of the RDA of omega-3 fatty acids.  This helps fight against arthritis, asthma, and autoimmune disorders.
  6. Kale is great for cardiovascular support.  Eating more kale can help lower cholesterol levels.
  7. Kale is high in Vitamin A.  This keeps our eyes and skin healthy.  Vitamin A also helps prevent lung and oral cavity cancers.
  8. Kale is high in Vitamin C.  This helps our immune system, our metabolism, and hydration.  Vitamin C helps heal cuts and wounds, keeps our teeth and gums healthy, and aids in iron absorption.
  9. Kale is high in calcium.  Another interesting tidbit, per calorie, kale has more calcium than milk.  This aids in preventing bone loss, preventing osteoporosis, and maintaining a healthy metabolism.
  10. Kale is a great detox food.  Kale is filled with fiber and sulfer, which are both great for detoxifying your body and keeping your liver healthy.        

Now that you just got schooled on some of kale's super powers, let's get it in your diet.  I know there are some of you who are thinking "Yaaay yuuuum kale!"... and then there's some of you going "Ewww kale is nasty!" LOL  I know this because I've actually heard a lot of you tell me how you don't like the taste of it.  Yes, how it's prepared makes a huge difference in taste, but who has time to prepare some delicious kale dish?  A lot of us can't even find the time to just make sure we get our daily serving of fruits and veggies.  Just thinking about fitting in kale into your diet might already stress you outBut have no fear, KHo is here!  Back to my previous question... Who has time to prepare it and make it taste good?  The answer is YOU!  Yes, I said YOU!  I'm going to make it easy for you to get your super food in.  I'm here to make your life easier!  I'm here to make you healthier!  Yup, aren't you glad you're still reading along? :)


Invest in a good blender.   
Here's my tip!  It's a darn good one and it's useful in so many ways!  I recently purchased a Blendtec.  This is one powerful 3 horsepower blender that can turn an iPhone into sand!  Just youtube "Will it Blend?" and you will find all sorts of crazy videos of this blender just pulverizing the most random things.  I watched it blend an iPad, a can of beans (i mean the whole thing... beans still in the can then put in the blender), glow sticks, etc.  These videos are quite hilarious actually so watch them!  The Blendtec is a pricey item but a great investment.  I use mine every single day!  Sometimes twice a day!  And NOOOOO, I do not work for the company! LOL  I'm going to give you some easy smoothie recipes and you can use any blender so don't think I'm just promoting the BlendtecSome of you have a regular old KitchenAid or even the fancy Vitamix.  Whatever gets the job done, use it!  When I first started out, I used a magic bullet which I think is still great... especially if you don't have a lot of money.  Just be sure to blend it a little longer LOL.  The bullet is super affordable and super convenient.  However, if you're ready to put in the big bucks, you know I support you getting the big toy 


Let me tell you how I got turned to this.  My good friend, Archie, told me about it.  I'll never forget what he said, "I don't eat veggies... I drink them!"  He was serious!!!  He doesn't eat veggies.  He can't!  He doesn't like how it tastes but he knows it's good for him.  Problem solved... he drinks them!  He told me his secret and now I'm sharing it with you.  It's pretty genius actually!  Everyday he throws in all kinds of fruits and vegetables in his Blendtec and voila... delicious smoothie and he gets all of the nutrients he needs without the pain of having to chew on what he thinks is disgusting.  Personally, I put kale in my smoothie every single day!  I wasn't kidding when I said that I think kale gives me super powers!  I seriously have about a head of kale a day and it tastes delicious! LOL  When I tell people how much kale I consume, they are shocked that it's possible for me to eat that much.  It's so easy if you can put it in a smoothie... plus you are going to get a ton of other nutrients from the other amazing fruits and vegetables you can fit in there too.  It's actually kinda fun to experiment and come up with different concoctions.  Here are a few to start off with that are super easy. 

RECIPES:


Almond Butter, Chocolate, Banana Heaven:
This is one of my favorites.  It's like dessert to me.  If you're in the mood for something chocolatey, this does the trick!
  • 8oz water 
  • 1 scoop of Chocolate Protein Powder (I use SFH Recovery but you can use your own) 
  • half a banana 
  • a handful of fresh kale 
  • a handful of frozen kale (I keep frozen kale in my freezer and like to add it to my smoothies so that they always come out cold... if you want, you can substitute with ice and use more fresh kale and less water)
  • a tablespoon of almond butter


Strawberry Citrus Smoothie:
If you're in the mood for something refreshing and citrusy, you will love this!  It's super delicious!
  • 4oz water 
  • 6oz Orange Juice
  • half a banana 
  • a handful of fresh kale 
  • a handful of fresh spinach
  • 1/2 cup of frozen strawberries



Mango Madness:
The island girl in me came up with this one.  So if you want to go tropical, here's a good one.
  • 4 oz water 
  • 4 oz Orange Juice
  • 1 cup mango cubes
  • a handful of fresh kale 
  • 1 teaspoon of coconut oil
  • 1/2 cup of frozen strawberries 
  • optional - add 1/2 cup of fresh pineapple 

Berry Protein Suprise:
This one is high in antioxidants and you even get your protein in!
  • 8 oz water 
  • 1 scoop Chocolate Protein Powder
  • a handful of fresh kale 
  • 1/2 cup frozen berries - raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries (I use Trader Joe's frozen berry medley)
  • 1 teaspoon of coconut oil





Feel free to mix it up and try new things in there.  Add the stuff you like.  Maybe you like apples or peaches or whatever... substitute it in and see if it works for you.  You might find that something suits your taste buds even more and once you find your perfect smoothie, you can really fit it in to a normal routine.  I literally wake up everyday excited to blend up my first smoothie of the day.  I really look forward to it. :)  It makes me happy and I hope that you will get joy in making your smoothie too!

This is just one easy way to fit in kale in your diet as well as other good for you fruits and veggies!  Hope it works out for you and I'm excited to hear about it.  Comment if you want more recipes or if you come up with some amazing recipe of your own!  I love trying new things! :)  Happy Blending!!!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Never knew that about Kale. Gonna get me some. Thanks KHo!

    ReplyDelete