Friday, June 14, 2013

You have a beautiful body!

Yesterday I was shopping at Lululemon and a woman walked in saying "I need help.  I need something to lift, separate, hold me in.  I need help with this ugly body of mine."  The sweet girl working there replied, "You have a beautiful body!!!" and then proceeded to help her find what she needed. 

"YOU HAVE A BEAUTIFUL BODY!!!"  It was so refreshing to hear.  It was sweet.  It was genuine.  It was the truth.  She did have a beautiful body.  It just breaks my heart when I hear women say they are ugly!


I have a few girlfriends who obsess about their weight, about what they eat.  I want to get the message out there that you all are beautiful.  Sometimes, you have to forget about the scale and focus on you as a person!  You're more than just an object.  You have a mind, a personality, and attitude that can take you further than what your physicality can.

A positive body image is key and here are 10 things that I hope will help. :)

1.)  Appreciate everything your body can do.  I can do pushups!  I can do a cartwheel!  I can lift heavy shit!  I can carry all my groceries in one trip!  I can punch hard!  I can kick ass!



2.)  Keep a top 10 list of things you like about yourself - things that aren't related to how much you weigh or what you look like.  I'm smart.  I can cook.  I inspire people.  I know Krav Maga.  I'm an artist.  I can paint.  I have style.  I make people laugh.  I'm a UCLA grad.  I'm a teacher.  I'm a great friend. 

3.)  Remind yourself that "true beauty" is not simply skin deep... Beauty is a state of mind, not a state of your body.

My oh so wise friend, Scotty boy, posted this picture and I had to share his take - "Class" is a word that has become relegated to "old" people it seems. Strength, confidence and sexiness start from behind the eyes and manifest through words and actions. Skin is skin and even an infant can be nude.

4.)  Look at yourself as a whole person... choose not to focus on specific body parts.

5.)  Surround yourself with positive people.  Seriously what gets me through the day are the amazing friends I have.  Stay away from negativity and love the life you live.


6.)  Shut down those voices in your head that tell you your body is not "right" or that you are a "bad" person.  You can choose to believe what you want.  If you believe that you're great, you are great!  You can tell yourself what to do and what to believe each day!  As for me, I tell myself to be awesome every damn day!


7.)  Wear clothes that are comfortable and that make you feel good about your body.  Back to my Lululemon start of this blog.  LOL  Wearing my lulu tights or lulu shorts make me feel super sexy.  Wear it.  Own it.  I'm comfy and look good.  Holla!!!

8.)  Become a critical viewer of social and media messages.  Don't let any of that media bring you down.  Remember that those tiny models probably don't look normal in real life LOL.  Men love curves.  Love your curves. LOL

9.)  Do something nice for yourself -- something that lets your body know you appreciate it.  Today, I got myself a nice full body massage.  Yesterday, I let myself enjoy that Reese's Peanut Butter Cup! :)



10.)  Use the time and energy that you might have spent worrying about food, calories, and your weight to do something to help others.  Right now, I'm writing this blog... in hopes of helping someone out there who might need it.  :)  I hope you enjoy this and pass the message along!

No comments:

Post a Comment